[rescue] SGI Indigo2 & IRIX 6.5

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 23:17:25 CST 2008

>From what I've seen, IRIX was designed early on for running on MIPS
processors for extremely high performance applications (especially multiple
processors, going into the hundreds or thousands of CPUs in some cases).
The fine hobbiests that port Linux tend to spend time getting it to work on
a platform and don't go much farther.  I've seen this especially with gcc.
I doubt anybody put significant time into optimizing Linux on the MIPS
procsessors used in the SGI computers, although SGI spent years optimizing
it for their x86 Altix boxes.   I hear MIPS is pretty popular for embedded
devices so I'm willing to bet somebody put some time into optimizations, but
not the hundred or so man years spent with IRIX.

-Bob