[rescue] SGI Indigo2 & IRIX 6.5

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Nov 30 22:13:23 CST 2008

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Ethan O'Toole wrote:

>> Okay, then Linux comes with no desktop environment.  Point for IRIX.
>> Oh, Linux also doesn't come with a dynamic loader.  Or a shell.  Or a
>> bootloader.  Damn, what can you do with that thing?
>
> I was a SGI fanboy, but I hate to say it but IRIX hasn't really kept up.

Yeah, SGI killed off the whole development team in late 2004 or early
2005, I think.  Though it's not like corporate let them do much after they
started shipping Linux boxes, anyway.

Had IRIX been allowed to continue development, it'd have continued to be a
right nice OS.  SGI didn't see any point in porting it to IA64 or i386,
though.  Perhaps, given their perilous financial situation, it was for the
best.

--
Jonathan Patschke < "There is great satisfaction in building good tools
Elgin, TX          > for other people to use."