[rescue] SGI Indigo2 & IRIX 6.5

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sun Nov 30 21:33:53 CST 2008

> And, yes, the header files are in different spots.  The various
> standards say that's okay.

The standards are wrong.  Unless your metric of goodness is just
conformance to the standards.

> Linux's placement of the header files is no more or less correct that
> anyone else's.

No - unless, again, your only measure of correctness is standards
conformance.  Compatability is a good thing, even when it isn't called
for by Standards.

Of course, this brings it to a question of what you want to be
compatible with.  That's a reasonable point of discussion; my point at
the moment is that saying that everything conforming to the standards
is equally correct is simply _wrong_.

> There's no reason not to support "proprietary" UNIX.

There certainly is for me, as a software author.  I have no interest in
supporting anything not open-source.  This is partly pragmatic (it's a
lot easier to support stuff I run myself, and that does not and will
not include anything closed-source) and partly political (doing my part
to exert evolutionary pressure against closed source).

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org