[rescue] Sun Blade 1000 help/problems

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jun 19 17:23:48 CDT 2008

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Bill Bradford wrote:

>> Be sure and roll the memory with your other set just to verify but,
>> in my experience, when the B1k/2k/280 starts spitting those corrected
>> ecc errors before it's even started to POST, it's usually the
>> motherboard.  It use to be a common enough occurrence that around
>> here we would just swap the motherboard no questions and deal with it
>> back at the shop.
>
> I had a pair of 280s at one point that had everything but the chassis
> metal and power supplies replaced (e.g., the memory had been replaced,
> the CPUs had been replaced, and the motherboard had been replaced),
> and they were STILL unstable (the power supplies were tested good
> multiple times).

It's a mechanical design flaw.  Lots of fragile connectors with
insufficient support and lots of room to flex.  The SB1000 was nearly
the worst piece of Sun kit I ever saw, in terms of reliability.  The sad
thing is that it didn't have to be that way.  Guide pins aren't
expensive, neither are nylon supports under the board, and a $10k
computer could afford to come with real tools instead of wire loops for
tightening parts.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi