[rescue] Sun Blade 1000 help/problems

Dr Robert Pasken rpasken at eas.slu.edu
Thu Jun 19 07:13:22 CDT 2008

I have a Sun Blade 1000 with 2 750Mhz cpu's and 2 gb of memory (all slots
filled). I just picked up a pair of copper 900Mhz cpu's for $25. I removed
the two 750Mhz cpu's and put in the two 900Mhz cpu's following the Blade
1000 service manual. I used the ring type torque wrench to tighten the screws.
When I restarted the system it failed to boot. Connecting a laptop to the
serial port showed that I was getting "Corrected ECC" errors. I then stripped
the system of all PCI cards, all but 4 dimms in bank 0 and replaced the
900 Mhz cpus's with one 750Mhz, but I am still getting the "Corrected ECC"
error. I have tried several time to re-seat the cpu's and different cpu's. On
one attempt I did get an OK prompt. I set the diag-switch? to true in
hopes of catching exactly what was wrong, but every power on after that
one success I get the "Corrected ECC" error.

Questions:

Did I toast the motherboard by destroying the cpu socket 0?

Is there something I can do at this point to salvage the motherboard