[rescue] Moth balls

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 16:24:31 CDT 2008

--- On Fri, 6/13/08, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

> A very nice interim step would be a dot matrix printer, say
> like an Epson MX-80, or one of those nice 24 pin Panasonic
> impact printers... Printer ribbons aren't too hard to
> find, and fan-fold paper is still in ready supply.

I ran one of my first home systems (NetBSD 0.8, IIRC) with
an Epson dot-matrix acting as the log device.  Made it
easier for me to see what was going on when things died.
It proved to be more of an annoyance than it was worth
(silly to waste all that electricity, paper, etc. for
so little "added value")

I then moved it to my PBX to log the call records.  Again,
a waste.

Finally, recycled it as the space it took up was more
valuable than the service it provided (hook a single port
terminal server to the PBX and capture the call detail
records to disk, instead)

> I keep thinking of putting a dot matrix printer on my SPARC
> server, to log login requests - just the occasional
> grrrrrrrind to remind me of where we came from...

I suspect you'll find the novelty will wear off real quick!  :>