[rescue] 611 cases & cables

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 17:14:34 CDT 2008

--- On Fri, 6/13/08, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

> From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] 611 cases & cables
> To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Date: Friday, June 13, 2008, 8:17 AM

[snip]

> I've thought about an upgrade to some MultiPack cases
> (6/12 SCSI boxes) to SATA - in theory, all it would take is
> a new circuit board inside the case with SATA connectors and
> that terminates in some multi-port eSATA connectors, but
> whle in my mind the upgrade is trivial (and for the right
> engineer in Sun it would likely be very trivial), here in
> the real world it would be quite hard.

It's not "hard" -- many of us have the know-how and tools
(ECAD, etc.) to do so.  The problem is it just isn't worth
while economically.  Making QTY 1 of a circuit board is
more expensive than buying a complete finished product.

And, lining up others that are interested in something
similar is just more work (and hassle) than it is worth...

> Pity - low-cost multi-bay SATA cases could keep many of
> those cases out of the landfills/chinese recycle plants...

The amount of crap^H^H^H^H stuff -- still with serviceable
life -- that ends up discarded (not even *recycled*! :< )
is amazing.  And depressing!