[rescue] Q: regarding ES40 video

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 12 06:25:45 CDT 2008

>From: Michael-John Turner <mj at mjturner.net>
>Date: 2008/06/12 Thu AM 04:46:20 EDT
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Q: regarding ES40 video

>On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:10:49AM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>> Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>> > Would a retail (non-HP/Compaq) Radeon 7500 work?
>> SRM emulates a x86 BIOS to initialize VGA cards. If you happen to get a
>> card with the exact chipset that was used by DEC / Comcrap / HP I
>> expect it to work.
>
>I think Jochen is on the money on this one. According to an OpenVMS-using
>friend of mine, a regular 7500 should work and be supported by OpenVMS. I'm
>not sure about Tru64 though.

Great - thanks.

I think OpenVMS is the way I'll go, but first I'll have to get a couple HDs on the sleds, get a TORX wrench so I can open the chassis (!?!?), and figure a way to get it into the basement by myself. Also the OpenVMS hobbyist site is "off-line"[0] for a few days, so I can't order a media kit for a while anyway.

Thanks,

Lionel

[0] nothing major, just not processing orders until the 17th of June, according to the web site...