[rescue] Q: regarding ES40 video

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 12 06:21:15 CDT 2008

>From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
>Date: 2008/06/12 Thu AM 03:10:49 EDT
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Q: regarding ES40 video

>On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:55:22 -0500 (CDT)
>Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Would a retail (non-HP/Compaq) Radeon 7500 work?
>SRM emulates a x86 BIOS to initialize VGA cards. If you happen to get a
>card with the exact chipset that was used by DEC / Comcrap / HP I
>expect it to work.

I saw a reseller that offered ATI Radeon 7500 PCI cards for $169 (IIRC), and indicated there was a "fix" required for 2D/3D Open GL support - my guess is that the "retail" version of the card does work, but it may not identify correctly to the OS/graphics subsystem, so you "patch" a file so that the identity string matches...

Thanks,

Lionel