[rescue] Compaq ES40

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Thu Jun 12 03:43:25 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:59:11AM -0400, Brian Wheeler wrote:
> Well, the OS choices that I know of are
> 	Tru64 ($$)
> 	Linux
> 	FreeBSD
> 	NetBSD
> 	OpenVMS ($$ or Hobbyist)

I wouldn't recommend FreeBSD - support for the Alpha is in the process of
being discontinued and 6.3 will be the last release [1]. In addition to the
above list, OpenBSD also has an Alpha port, but it has some long-standing
bugs that remain unfixed, so I'm not sure how stable it is.

Open-source wise, my recommendation would, of course, be NetBSD - it runs
very well on Alpha systems. Amongst Linux distributions, Debian has a very
active Alpha community and AlphaCore [2] maintain a port of Fedora releases
to Alpha.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/alpha.html
[2] http://buildsys.zero42.at/

-mj