[rescue] Compaq ES40

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 11 11:09:43 CDT 2008

>From: Brian Wheeler <bdwheele at indiana.edu>
>Date: 2008/06/11 Wed AM 10:59:11 EDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Compaq ES40

>Well, the OS choices that I know of are
>	Tru64 ($$)
>	Linux
>	FreeBSD
>	NetBSD
>	OpenVMS ($$ or Hobbyist)

OpenVMS looks interesting - turns out I don't have SCSI drives, I have two SCSI trays, oh well...

I'm not afraid of spending the $25 on a Media Kit (very reasonable, IMHO), but I want to try and find out the specs before I go too far with this...

It's funny, the system has two 9 pin serial ports as well as an MMJ connector. Plugged into the MMJ connector is a short jumper, to a MMJ - DB25 adapter, which has a DB25 to RJ45 adapter...

It also seems that there are a few 19" rack spaces available under the server in the "stand", apparently for disk arrays...

Anyone else have a similar system they are using? I'm just starting to poke around with this system, I'm looking at it as a bit of a learning opportunity - not much else, so OpenVMS could be "fun" ;^)

Lionel