[rescue] RS/6000 7012 370

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 02:06:36 CDT 2008

On 11 Jun 2008, at 03:34, r.stricklin wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2008, at 12:24 PM, Halford Johnson wrote:
>
>> After reseating all the cards and banging on the LEDs a couple more
>> times, I
>> now believe that the code is '260' which means "information is being
>> displayed on the display console".  There is still no monitor output
>> though.  I am not sure what to do.
>
> RS/6000 systems define their console in a firmware setting,
> manipulated by an AIX command 'chcons'.
>
> If the system was defined with the graphics console, no amount of
> plugging in or unplugging a keyboard and monitor will change it to
> the serial port, and vice versa.

If it's any help, my RS/6000 B50 forgot what it's terminal was set to
when the NVRAM battery died. I dunno if the 7012-370 uses a simple
coin cell like the B50, or a different battery type, but I'd say
popping the NVRAM battery out and leaving it to stew with no mains
power for a bit would wipe the NVRAM and make it offer you the 'Press
F2 to use this console' on boot up. That comes up on *all* available
terminals IIRC. It used to drive me crazy on the B50 until I realised
the battery was dead and swapped it (which is a bloody mission in
itself, they are a swine to get out of the holder in a B50!!)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>