[rescue] SunPCi2 woes

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Jun 10 22:15:49 CDT 2008

On Jun 10, 2008, at 9:24 PM, Marc Mirza wrote:

> Hi THere, While I've yet to see any caps fail on these we've had
> all of our SunPci CPU fans fail (around 15+). It was impossible to
> get a replacement fan from Sun and I was unable to find any
> equivalent. I think they are quite prone to failure as they rev.
> very high and the slightest amount of dirt/ dust causes grief.
> The fix I came up with was to:
> 1/ remove the heatsink/fan from the SUNPCI card (4 small screws
> with springs hold these in).
>
> 2/ remove the plastic fan from the copper heatsink.
> 2/ using thermally conductive glue- glue a heatsink/fan combo from
> a Pentium1 style CPU onto the existing copper heatsink.
> 3/ Power the new fan from a spare H/Disk power connector.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> If all that sounds too cryptic let me know and I'll send you a
> picture of what we've done..

I think he was talking about SunPCI II not SunPCI I or did you just
drop the number?

Regardless when I replaced all the SunPCI I fans in the U10s at $work
I was able to get the fans from Mouser electronics. ( http://
www.mouser.com/ )  I can't see them not having the right sized fan.
if they use the same fan I probable still have the part number at $work.

Heck, Mouser even has fans that can replace those stupid Cobalt fans
that go bad so they very probably have the right thing for this.
--
Mike Hebel

MARS NEEDS CHOCOS! - Martian Manhunter