[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 68, Issue 12

Andrew Jones ascii.letter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 16:10:52 CDT 2008

> Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 17:00:33 -0400 From: Phil Stracchino
> <alaric at metrocast.net> Subject: Re: [rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 68,
> Issue 12 To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org> Message-ID:
> <48791B71.9070000 at metrocast.net> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset=ISO-8859-1
> Well, if this were IBM's or Novell's legal department we were talking
> about ... but remember, this is SCO, the company that decided suing its
> own customers was a really great business model.  (Sorta like the RIAA,
> really.)

They were up a creek without a paddle long before they started the
lawsuits.  SCO and Caldera were not a very good match for each other.

Caldera had made most of their money through direct sales of Linux to
SCO UNIX customers, based around 1:1 replacements of SCO UNIX with Linux.

In contrast, it was my understanding that SCO had made most of their
money through channel sales.  That is, I was led to believe they made
most of their money selling to VARs, who would make a huge margin on the
SCO UNIX sales.

When Caldera bought SCO, they kept the same SCO-destroying business
model for the Linux product, while schizophrenically pushing OpenServer
and UnixWare with the other hand.  Is it any wonder that their channel
dried up?  VARs (and everyone else) could see which way the wind was
blowing.

P.S.  Sorry about the change in subject lines.