[rescue] 3b1/7300/unixpc/s4 history [was: Wanted - 3B2]

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Wed Jul 9 08:40:06 CDT 2008

On 7/9/08 6:48 AM, "Sandwich Maker"  wrote:

> i recall there was a way to make a backdoor that would give you root
> access, but not what it was.  i used it -once- to break into a system
> for which the root passwd was lost.

Getting root is trivial, since there are some truck-wide holes in the User
Agent (windowing system) on the 3B1.

The easiest is to open the mail program, and at the prompt type "! /bin/sh".
Bingo- root shell! I remember there are two or three more- if the 3B1 FAQ is
still extant I'm sure it will call them out as well.

There was some kind of patch/fix to remove the hole in mail. Not sure what
it entailed any more. Luckily, my 3B1's were in front of people who wouldn't
know what to do with root if you gave them two weeks and  a "UNIX for
Dummies" book...

Steve