[rescue] Sun Blade 150

Halford Johnson halfordjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 21:32:16 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
wrote:
HAve you tried stop-N? That would reset the NVRAM to default values, that
has

> helped me revive a couple systems...
>
> To review, you would power up the system, then immediately hold down "stop"
> and "n" on a Sun keyboard, holding them down until the keyboard lights
> cycle
> twice... (the first is power up, the second is the reset) then simply
> release
> the keys and the systme *might* boot up.
>
> You would do this with a Sun keyboard and VGA monitor attached, I'm sure
> you
> can use serial console to do this, but I don't know the equivalent key
> presses...

I received this machine in unknown condition.

Here is what I've tried:

I've tried using a serial cable 8n1 9600 with hardware flow control and
again with no flow control --- nothing.
I've tried hooking up a VGA monitor and generic USB keyboard, no display.
I've tried multiple single sticks of PC133 ECC RAM in multiple slots, no
display.

Seems pretty dead.  I am not sure what else to try.  I would like to repair
this machine, but I first must determine the problem.

I thought perhaps the motherboard might be dead, but I noted that when I
remove all the RAM, it gives the no RAM system beeping error.  When I insert
RAM, there is no noise, just fans running. (All LEDs turn on successfully)
This leads me to hypothesize that perhaps it is the CPU that is bad?

Any thoughts?

---
Hal Johnson
Programmer