[rescue] Need help with PortMaster PM2 recovery

Jonathan Sturges jonathansturges at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 25 08:31:40 CDT 2008

Hi,
This is a re-send of a question I had a few weeks ago, but got no response to, and I'm sure there's a solution.  I need to know how I can recover a 10-port PortMaster PM2 terminal server.

The ComOS flash segments are trashed, but I'm able to netboot it just
fine.  Problem is, I seem to be unable to erase then re-flash ComOS
once it's netbooted.  As an added inconvenience, all system message
text has been nuked, so most any command you enter returns something
like "SYSMSG459" instead of the actual error/warning/note.
I've tried flashing it using PMVision1.12 as well as by tftp'ing an image, but neither succeeds.  The tftp method reports this:
Requesting tftp of XXX from host YYY
Initializing File System
SYSMSG459 tftp terminated on invalid command:
    .pm2OS
tftp error on read
WARNING: Flash copy of Operating System has been erased.
    Rebooting from Flash will fail unless a valid
    Operating System is loaded.

Any PortMaster experts out there?  I figure if they exist anywhere, it's probably on the Rescue List!