[rescue] Parallel ports [was Re: Slightly OT: ?Bad Cap Saga]

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Aug 23 12:33:55 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 01:06:52PM -0400, Brooke Gravitt wrote:
>At at this point, what are you using floppies for, anyway? Make disk images
>of the ancient software/backups from floppies from OS 9. You can read &
>write to those images just fine, and copy them across the LAN. Plus, the
>drives are gonna croak at some point anyway - do you really want to be
>shuttling data around on floppy disk?

I'm one of two people in the Jerusalem are that actively support
(as a hobbby) 680x0 Macs. There was a third, but he recently moved to
another apartment and had to sell/giveaway/toss any Mac stuff that old.

I still have and am actively collecting 680x0 Mac software, and provide
boot disks, etc for people that ask. I must admit that is not many,
I've seen one IIci this year, and a Plus last year. I have never seen
a 400k Mac in the 12 years I have been in this country. Considering they
sold for almost $7,000 (250% tax) I'm not surprised.

I don't use floppies for much transfering even my SE (4m RAM, 50m HD, 800k
floppy) has ethernet and a CD-ROM drive.

Geoff.