[rescue] Parallel ports [was Re: Slightly OT: ?Bad Cap Saga]

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Aug 21 22:38:46 CDT 2008

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

>> I still use floppy disks on OS X 10.5.4 with the drivers built into the
>> operating system.
>
> Internal or USB? USB floppy drives use very different drivers than
> internal ones.

Both internal IDE-connected floppy drives (although that was under 10.4)
and USB-connected floppy drives.

Since there don't exist any Macs with onboard[0] floppy controllers which
are capable of running 10.5, I don't know whether it has a working driver
for that or not.

[0] I'm not familiar enough with the actual device complement of the Intel
     Macintoshes, as I've just never found the time.  There is an LPC bus
     (at least on the Mac Pro), but I don't know if they have any such
     "SuperIO" chip plugged into it.
--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi