[rescue] Cheap GbE PCI adapter for SPARC/x86/x64 Solaris

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 22 10:26:31 CDT 2008

Hello all,

I bumped into this card and I thought some here might be interested in outfitting older Sun kit to have Gigabit Ethernet off a PCI port.

Newegg has a card for sale for $14.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166017

And there is an $8 discount when you use this code: EMCAJCCBJ

making the price $6.99.

How do I know it will work on SPARC/x86/x64 Solaris? This web site:

http://solaris-x86.org/software/drivers/

Lead me to this website:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/

Which lists the Realtek RTL8110 chip as supported under item #15 on the page.

Now, Newegg has an $8.99 S/H charge for the card, but this might make a good "give it a try" purchase if you are getting anything else from them... Of course, you may find the same card locally for same/lower price (after shipping), but I thought I'd share the links/etc. for those that might be interested...

Lionel