[rescue] Phaser ink

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Aug 19 22:08:40 CDT 2008

On Aug 19, 2008, at 5:49 PM, Curious George wrote:

> --- On Tue, 8/19/08, Robert Darlington <rdarlington at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I second that.  That and the damn things are unreliable.  My company
>> has 10 Phaser 8400 or 8500 printers (various models) between 3
>> offices.  3 work.  Between LCD screens going out and streaking that
>> is
>> impossible to clean without ripping the whole printer apart, I just
>> won't buy another.  It's way more economical for us to outsource the
>> handfull of pages we need in glossy, high quality (which isn't *that*
>> high I might add).   Kinko's does a fine job at a reasonable cost and
>> they keep the maintenance headache!
>
> What I abhor is the waste when you have to run a cleaning cycle!
> Since I only power the printers up when I need them (rarely),
> it seems like I piss more ink into the waste tray than I ever
> put on paper!

This is why you're not supposed to turn them off.  You can use energy
saver sometimes, but if you keep the printer on, you don't waste
supplies in cleaning cycles.  The deep clean on the latest crop of
phasers is far less wasteful than the original 3xx series, however.  I
was actually certified on the 3xx, 840/850/850/8200 and made my share
of cap-wipe unit gasket repairs, print head repairs, and vacuum system
repairs.  These machines are truly amazing.  You probably don't want
one if you don't print often.

Andrew