[rescue] Slightly OT: Bad Cap Saga

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Aug 19 08:07:56 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 08:49:37AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>I've thought that myself for a long time now.  The day you put the
>future of a company in the hands of modern-day stockbrokers,
>shareholders and stockholders, it's doomed.  Just like HP, which didn't
>take a year after Bill and Dave died to make a dive for the drain.  It's
>just a matter of time.  If you want a company to last, build it slowly
>and keep it privately held.

Not really. From what I understand HP is alive and well as Aligent.

What they did was spin-off the computer division and let it keep the name
because people bought the name, while the instrument division sold their
products to people who bought the product.

It's the whole point of this discussion. I was presenting the point of
view (which I don't really believe in BTW) of building products the
post Fiorina HP way, versus Aligent which continued doing things
the "Bill and Dave" HP way.

Geoff.