[rescue] Slightly OT: Bad Cap Saga

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Aug 19 07:49:37 CDT 2008

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 08:27:24PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
>>> So they will make a custom line for WalMart only, which is crappy
>>> even though the regular products are good.
>> ...and that's their mistake.  Well, their first mistake.
>
> I'm not sure that that is the first mistake.  Quite likely the first
> mistake was going public, or putting the company in a place where short
> term share holder value is more important than long term viability.

I've thought that myself for a long time now.  The day you put the
future of a company in the hands of modern-day stockbrokers,
shareholders and stockholders, it's doomed.  Just like HP, which didn't
take a year after Bill and Dave died to make a dive for the drain.  It's
just a matter of time.  If you want a company to last, build it slowly
and keep it privately held.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.