[rescue] CLD-3090 (was Re: Slightly OT: Bad Cap Saga)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Aug 19 01:59:59 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 06:11:32PM -0400, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>    No motor noise; I would have heard that and jumped to that
> very conclusion.

Without getting into a large discusion I have a neighbor who is a musician
who is prohibited from owning a home computer by the religous organization
his family belongs to. He instead spent $5,000 on a Yahama "studio", which
needed an IDE drive installed to make digital recordings and an external
Yamaha SCSI CD-ROM burner to make CD's.

The thing only worked with a very specific set of CD burners and he had
to buy one used to get it. It lasted about a month before it would no
longer load a disk. I traced it down to the spindle motor refusing to
spin, and carefully squirted it with contact cleaner to get it to spin.

It's still working AFAIK.

It could just be "sticktion".

Geoff.