[rescue] Slightly OT: Bad Cap Saga

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Aug 18 15:57:47 CDT 2008

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:52:25AM -0700, Curious George wrote:
>> As I said, we'd *really* have to be in bed with a vendor to trust
>> an entire product line (or, corporate future) to their commitment.
>
> But a company like Wal-Mart does not care. They sell cheap junk at low
> prices. When this batch runs out, they sell a new cheap product under
> a new name. By the time the 90 day warranty runs out, they don't even
> have any more of the units in the stores.

What they will do is go to a reputable manufacturer and say "we will buy
a line from you of your products, but, make it to THIS price point; we
don't care if it has cheap Chinese crap inside".

So they will make a custom line for WalMart only, which is crappy even
though the regular products are good.

Then the sales of the good stuff go down because "I can buy almost the
same thing at WalMart for half the price", and they are forced to put
cheap Chinese crap in their entire line in order to stay afloat.

--Patrick