[rescue] Slightly OT: Bad Cap Saga

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Aug 18 08:06:52 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 08:44:24AM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=DELL
>
> They sell $60B a year, have EBITDA of 4.29B . I wish I was on the edge
> of financial failure the way they are :-)

That's why I said it was a rumor. However, look at GM,

	http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=gm

with a negative EBITDA,

or Ford
	http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=f

	with an EBITDA of 7.86B

or Chrysler
	http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=DCX.BA

all three of which ARE on the verge of bankruptcy. :-(

> True enough.  They are engineered to a price point, and are a "known
> quantity" in that you know that if you buy a Dell, it will work out of
> the box, and if it doesn't they will either send someone out to fix it
> or ship you another one.

And at what point does having capacitors that fail make them no longer
desirable to people who have bought them? 91 days? 6 months? 1,2,3,5 years?

Geoff.