[rescue] Slightly OT: Bad Cap Saga

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Aug 18 07:44:24 CDT 2008

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 03:05:55PM -0700, Curious George wrote:
>> I.e., the problem has been around for almost 10 years.  Are folks
>> *really* still shipping bad product in spite of this knowledge?
>> I could understand products from "Phly-Buy-Nyte Elektronigs"...
>> but, hard to believe the folks at Dell, IBM, etc. are just turning
>> a blind eye on their suppliers after taking such a $$$ hit dealing
>> with this problem.
>
> Sure, Dell has been rumored to be on the edge of financial failure for
> years. I'm sure they buy their componnets to the specification that they
> last as long as their warranties. How close is a matter of speculation.

Edge of financial failure, huh?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=DELL

They sell $60B a year, have EBITDA of 4.29B . I wish I was on the edge
of financial failure the way they are :-)

> Besides, do you know anyone who buys a Dell computer because it is
> a high quality item? People buy them for their price.

True enough.  They are engineered to a price point, and are a "known
quantity" in that you know that if you buy a Dell, it will work out of
the box, and if it doesn't they will either send someone out to fix it
or ship you another one.

Cordially

Patrick