[rescue] Slightly OT: Bad Cap Saga

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 16:52:44 CDT 2008

Hi,

--- On Sun, 8/17/08, Brian Deloria <bdeloria at gmail.com> wrote:

> The rash of bad caps a few years back would fail within
> months of use.  It was a short period of time before it was
> discovered and corrected.

My point is we are now almost 10 years after the "spy event"
and I'm still seeing "cap problems".  While it is *possible*
that there is a big pile of "old stock" someplace(s) that
folks are still pulling from (to avoid having to eat their
losses on those components and/or subassemblies), I wonder if
there aren't *other* issues at play, here.  I.e., when do
we *stop* blaming capacitor problems on *this* particular
cause?

> Amusingly enough a local college I had worked at had purchased around
> 1000 desktops that the motherboards were affected.  The VP/bean
> counters wisdom decided not to opt for first year onsite as they had
> in the past but instead go simply depot for the duration.  This took
> months to rectify.

And, the VP no doubt was promoted in the process (cf. "Peter Principle")

:>