[rescue] Apple 2GB Quantum Fireball ST SCSI HD

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Aug 7 13:08:58 CDT 2008

" From: Mark Brown <sunrescue at marknmel.com>
"
" der Mouse wrote:
" >>> These are only a few, early models of MicroVAX 3100 and VAXstation
" >>> 3100.  It is also only a limit during boot.  Put your boot partition
" >>> within the first 1 GB and any larger disk will do.
" >>>
" >> I suppose the same can be said for the 32bit sparc hardware (ie.
" >> ss10/ss20).
" >>
" >
" > There are lots of other SPARC32 machines; equating "32bit sparc
" > hardware" with "ss10/ss20" is not fair.  (Many of them don't have the
" > boot-area-size bug^Wmisfeature, too.  I don't recall which ones.)
" >
" Ummm, I did say ie. :-)
"
" I only suggested ss10/20's as I have personally whacked my big toe on
" that bug.
"
" Do  4c's and 4d's have this problem too? Anyone?

as i posted, obp after ~2.6 had the 2g limit; prior to that, 1g.  this
happened some time during the ss2's lifetime; i expect the 1 and 1+
and older sun4s at least would have the 1g limit.

and as i posted, this is in one of the faqs at sunhelp.org.