[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet SBus & Gigabit Ethernet Sun 420R/220R

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Apr 6 07:58:39 CDT 2008

On Apr 6, 2008, at 5:47 AM, Steve Sandau wrote:

> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

>>> So, basically, you are pointing out that SBUS can do about 2.5
>>> times  the bandwidth that one would realistically get from GigE?
>>> Why is  that silly then?
>> Ehh, I suppose. I was thinking 1000 MB/s, but that's not realistic.
>
> I would hope that gigE would max out at more like 500MB/s, but I
> have not worked with gigE and jumbo frames enough to know.

GigE is supposedly capable of going close to 100 MB/s a second, with
jumbo frames.

> 100MB ethernet maxes out at what, 70MB/s or 80MB/s under ideal
> conditions, or is that even too optimistic?

Typically one uses MB for megabyte, and Mb for megabit.

FastE is 100Mb, but in average circumstances in the real world it
only does about 7.5-9MB.

GigE is 1000Mb, and is rumoured to be capable of doing 80MB+, but
that requires fairly good hardware.

Some people say that it isn't worth upgrading to GigE if you can't
get 10 times faster than FastE, but I wonder why people think that a
4-6x upgrade for older machines isn't worthwhile?