[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet SBus & Gigabit Ethernet Sun 420R/220R

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Sun Apr 6 04:47:09 CDT 2008

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 23:37 -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>>> Wouldn't that be a bit silly, since SBUS maxes out at 200 MB/s (64 bit
>>> bus)? Or is it bridging to PCI to get around that somehow?
>> So, basically, you are pointing out that SBUS can do about 2.5 times
>> the bandwidth that one would realistically get from GigE?  Why is
>> that silly then?
>
> Ehh, I suppose. I was thinking 1000 MB/s, but that's not realistic.

I would hope that gigE would max out at more like 500MB/s, but I have
not worked with gigE and jumbo frames enough to know.

100MB ethernet maxes out at what, 70MB/s or 80MB/s under ideal
conditions, or is that even too optimistic?

In any case, there *are* gigE SBUS cards, I have a fiber one (which I am
not using, hint, hint).

Steve