[rescue] Sunshack and Sun stuff to giveaway

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Oct 29 11:54:54 CDT 2007

On Oct 28, 2007, at 4:26 PM, der Mouse wrote:

>> Well, I'm still interested in SS20s; they're the best (FSVO
>> "best") Sun
> that's actually usable.  I've got some Ultras, but I ran into a bug
> that looked to me like a gcc sparc64 codegen bug

[ snip ]

That seems a silly reason to not use Ultra hardware.

For one thing, there are still codegen bugs in 32-bit GNU compilers,
and with each release of it, there could well be yet more.

There are also hardware bugs in the older CPUs.  For example, the Sun
I sent to you has a CPU bug that will bring the machine down hard
from userland with a 1 instruction assembly program.  There is no way
around it. All of the 170MHz Fujitsu SPARCs have it.  You just have
to hope the compiler never spits it out.  Most compiler writers
should be aware of it, but you never know...

I suspect the error you've found is already be fixed, depending on
what version of the compiler you have.  Bugs like that pop up from
time to time, and always will.

DEC, Sun, and Intel compilers have also had bugs like that now and then.

That's why I generally like to stick with a compiler that is known to
work well and not keep switching them.

Unfortunately, the way software is managed these days, that can be
hard to manage at times.

Did you try reporting this problem to the GCC guys?  Reporting it on
a NetBSD list isn't likely to do much.

I generally worry about the GNU compilers all the time on all
platforms, because they have a history of some fairly serious bugs
and other problems.

I use them for the same reason everyone else does: they are free and
everywhere.

If I had a choice, I'd be using something else.

Personally, I think the industry has a dire need of a better
universal compiler, and one without the GPL.

With the release of GPL v3, I worry a lot that GNU compilers might
start using that license.