[rescue] Never thought I'd ask this

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Oct 24 15:22:42 CDT 2007

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:25:36 -0700, N. Miller wrote:
> On Oct 22, 2007, at 3:51 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> > Yeah, I'm thinking about trying a BSD.  I haven't tried Ubuntu so
> > far because, as I understand it, I basically have the choice of
> > Ubuntu and any desktop I like so long as I like Gnome, or Kubuntu
> > and any desktop I
> > like so long as I like KDE, or Xubuntu and any desktop I like so
> > long as
> > I like XFCE.  (I detest all three.)
>
> It's fairly trivial for a *nix geek to change Xubuntu or Kubuntu to
> use a different window manager.  With Gnome it's a different matter
> thanks to all the extra junk installed--you'd have a lot to rip

Or Ubuntu I believe; both my workstations are installed with Ubuntu but
run with Enlightenment as the window manager. Just create a .xsession
to exec the wm of your choice. If you don't start the Gnome stuff in
your .xsession it doesn't start on its own.

> out. If you don't want to deal with the swap, use the "alternative"
> install disk and treat it like a server, installing Xorg and
> whatever window manager you want after the fact.

I think it's the 'server' install you want; the 'alternate' Ubuntu
install allows you to escape Gnome during the installation and to give
greater options for disk layout. Going for Xubuntu is probably the
easiest option to get a *buntu with your own choice of wm though.