[rescue] Never thought I'd ask this

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 13:25:36 CDT 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 3:51 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Mike Hebel wrote:
>> I have to ask - did you try Ubuntu?  I ran Ubuntu quite happily on an
>> i1200 for quite some time without any issues.
>>
>> I can only think things have improved since then...
>>
>> You could also try NetBSD, Damn Small Linux, or perhaps Peanut Linux?
>
> Yeah, I'm thinking about trying a BSD.  I haven't tried Ubuntu so far
> because, as I understand it, I basically have the choice of Ubuntu and
> any desktop I like so long as I like Gnome, or Kubuntu and any
> desktop I
> like so long as I like KDE, or Xubuntu and any desktop I like so
> long as
> I like XFCE.  (I detest all three.)

It's fairly trivial for a *nix geek to change Xubuntu or Kubuntu to
use a different window manager.  With Gnome it's a different matter
thanks to all the extra junk installed--you'd have a lot to rip out.
If you don't want to deal with the swap, use the "alternative"
install disk and treat it like a server, installing Xorg and whatever
window manager you want after the fact.

But given what you've said about the chipset, I'd do some more research.

You could also set up your Gentoo builds on the desktop and just pull
binaries to the laptop...though that might also be a set of headaches
you're not interested in.  There's plenty of info in the Gentoo docs
on setting up local binary repositories.

=Nadine=