[rescue] Never thought I'd ask this

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Sun Oct 21 21:47:06 CDT 2007

On Oct 21, 2007, at 9:35 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> ...but, anyone got a copy of XP you got with a machine and aren't ever
> going to use?  I'm tearing my hair out trying to find an OS that works
> properly on this Thinkpad i1300.  2K Pro doesn't have a graphics
> chipset
> driver that works.  Knoppix 5.1.1 handles the buggy IDE chipset OK,
> but
> I can't get the trackpoint device to work, and I have to disable
> USB to
> get it to boot because the damned OHCI USB chipset hard-locks the
> entire
> machine if probed at boot time.  Kanotix 2007rc6 won't boot past that
> infernal IDE chipset, neither will Debian 4.0, neither will Slackware
> 12.  The one Linux distribution I've managed to get installed and
> working was Gentoo 2007.0, and the machine's too ram-starved to run
> Gentoo - an emerge that would take ten minutes on my desktop takes
> hours
> on the laptop, and a large emerge takes all day.
>
> Repellent though the idea is, I want to try XP on it to see if it
> handles the graphics chipset properly.  (It's a Trident Cyberblade/i1;
> Win2K claims to have a driver for it, but the 2K driver doesn't
> work, 2K
> won't run the XP driver, and I can't get better than 800x600 VGA16.)

I have to ask - did you try Ubuntu?  I ran Ubuntu quite happily on an
i1200 for quite some time without any issues.

I can only think things have improved since then...

You could also try NetBSD, Damn Small Linux, or perhaps Peanut Linux?

(I miss linuxiso.org - they really had a link to almost everything
that you could run that was Linux or BSD.)

Mike Hebel
----
See with eyes unclouded, think with mind uncluttered, act with heart
unchained!