[rescue] SPARCclassic bits

Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski rambo at id.uw.edu.pl
Sat Oct 20 11:53:09 CDT 2007

> Nice... your memory must be 3rd party then.  IPX iirc uses 80ns parts.
> Attempting to use 80ns parts in a Classic/LX can be done, but will either not
> work, or likely will run into corruption/crashes as you'd be pushing the parts
> beyond their 80ns speed.

I suspect they will immediately bail out on test, unless classic can fall back to slower
RAS/CAS. And ironically, it's getting harder and harder to find something slow
(in 15 years I haven't actually seen any 72-pin SIMM that wasn't running more than
60 ns chips).

> Good to know your parts should be fast enough to satisfy the Classic/LX
> though.

Yep, I see reports that they can utilize newer true-parity SIMMs just fine.
The memory is history itself, as it came to me with SGI Indigo, then was briefly
utilized in DEC3000, IPX, Indigo2, another Indigo and finally another IPX.

Rambo

--
He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.
		-- M.C. Escher