[rescue] Hard disk lifespans in Sun gear

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 14:05:33 CDT 2007

> The Ultra 2 supports two, 1" tall SCA SCSI drives,
> they are squeezed in on the right side of the case,
> under the floppy/Optical drives, and are cooled
> indirectly, AFAIK (they do not have any direct fans
> cooling the drives) with outside air being drawn in
> over the drives.

This is correct. I already checked and cleaned the air
path before I replaced the first drive (I vacuumed a
ton of fuzz out of that machine...)  The fans on the
left pull air across the memory (of which this machine
only has 256mb, so the path is clear), and across the
drives. I think they're getting enough cooling.

I think I'm just going to call this one a random
failure caused by old parts. I have the mirrors
rebuilt (again) on another Sun 9 gig drive (this time,
an IBM one) and I'll see how things go.

Any recommendations on reliable drives for these
machines?

-Ian