[rescue] Hard disk lifespans in Sun gear

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 18 10:56:48 CDT 2007

>From: Dave K <davek08054 at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/10/18 Thu AM 09:39:17 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Hard disk lifespans in Sun gear

>On 10/18/07, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> What is going on here? ...
>
>I've never had an Ultra 2, so I don't know what they look like inside,
>but my first thought is to check for something else bad that affects
>just the one drive, like a bad fan or power supply.

As the self-proclaimed Ultra 2 "expert" on the list (anyone that disagrees will get one of my 10 or so Ultra 2 "shelf queens" thrown at them ;^), let me describe the chassis:

The Ultra 2 supports two, 1" tall SCA SCSI drives, they are squeezed in on the right side of the case, under the floppy/Optical drives, and are cooled indirectly, AFAIK (they do not have any direct fans cooling the drives) with outside air being drawn in over the drives.

I'll happily transfer the mantle of self-proclaimed "Ultra 2 expert" to anyone willing to take more than one of my remaining Ultra 2s ;^)

Lionel