[rescue] Sun 911 case (4x 50 pin SCSI case)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Oct 10 06:22:25 CDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 06:15:06AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> From: Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk>
[...]
>> Heh. These days 250GB is "small". The sweet spot for commodity disks is
>> now 750GB.
> The original post was about Megabytes, not Gigagytes, and since this is a
> narrow SCSI case (50 pin), I don't think the original poster made a
> typo...

Yes, I assumed that megabytes were intended. I was just noting that three
orders of magnitude larger is now "small".

(Although you *can* stick a 250GB disk on a narrow SCSI bus - if you can
find one - as there aren't dumb ATA limitations. A large PATA drive and
suitable IDE-SCSI bridge should do it.)

> The goal (apparently) was to have a number of spindles to play with, not
> to create a usable storage array for anything resembling production use.

Sure. I just find that old SCSI disks are noisy, power-hungry and liable to
fail at inconvenient moments, so I normally replace my important disks every
couple of years before they've had a chance to fail.