[rescue] rescuing an ailing U10...

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sat Oct 6 12:29:55 CDT 2007

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
>> If not for the greed of the storage industry ...
>
> Is that like the greed of the lumber industry for not making 2x4's actually 2 inches by 4 inches?

If I recall correctly, in the UK, it is illegal to sell dimensional
lumber that is more than 1/8" below stated dimensions -- and you only
get away with being that much under if it's been planed after cutting.
If it's unfinished as-sawn lumber, and you advertise it as 2"x4" lumber,
it better by god be 2"x4".  The nonsense that's SOP in the US, selling
1.5"x3.5" lumber and calling it 2"x4", so would not fly.  The Weights
and Measures Inspectorate would come down on them like a ton of bricks
for violation of the Trade Descriptions Act.

And Madison Avenue?  Oy.  There'd be blood ankle-deep in the streets.
You have to be very careful what you claim in advertising in the UK,
because at any time, a man from Weights and Measures may walk into your
office with an example of your product purchased off the shelf, hand it
to you, and say, "Your packaging/latest ad campaign makes this claim.
Prove it."  And you'd better be able to prove it, right now, with the
product package he just handed you.

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.