[rescue] rescuing an ailing U10...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Oct 6 10:12:20 CDT 2007

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>>> Attempting to force a binary machine to use base-10 numbering makes
>>> as much sense as attempting to list prices at the supermarket in
>>> hex. The 1000 byte kilobyte should have been stillborn.
>>
>> If not for the greed of the storage industry ...
>
> Is that like the greed of the lumber industry for not making 2x4's
> actually 2 inches by 4 inches?

There's a good reason for that; they actually start -out- at two inches
by four inches.  There's no good reason for mislabeling the capacity of
a container by coming up with some new interpretation of the units.

I could build the most fuel-efficient (label-wise, anyhow) vehicle on
the planet if I could define "gallon" or "litre" however in the world
that I wanted.

--
Jonathan Patschke     )  "So far, 99% of illegal activity has been caused
Elgin, TX            (    by criminals."