[rescue] rescuing an ailing U10...

Robert Pasken rpasken at eas.slu.edu
Tue Oct 2 09:07:20 CDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 7:50 AM, Michael-John Turner wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 07:28:37AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> My rule of thumb is to only buy drives that were not pulled from
>> non-Sun
>> platforms, as I've never had a problem with standard drives from
>> major
>> mfg.
>
> I think that's a fair rule. FWIW, one drive I had problems with is:
> sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <IBM-PCCO, ST39102LC     !#, B201>
> disk fixed
> sd0: 8678 MB, 6962 cyl, 12 head, 212 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 17774160
> sectors
>
> Works like a charm in an Alpha, gives errors when probed ("probe-
> scsi") in
> an U1 or U2 [1]. For those who don't read model numbers, it's a 1"
> high IBM
> firmware 10k RPM SCA Seagate Cheetah.
>
> FWIW, I have five NetApp firmware Seagates and Fujitsus that work
> like a
> charm in U2s and U60s. Voodoo I tell you! *shrug*
>
> [1] http://www.nabble.com/Ultra-1E:-%22unexpected-message-in-2%22-
> t167401.html
>
> -mj
> --
> Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/
> mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/

Strange! I am willing to take any SCSI disk I can find. The only SCSI
drives I have had problems with are those from RAID boxes that have
funky sector sizes (592 versus 512). I always get the error about no
label, but booting from a CD and labeling the drive solves that
problem. All my machines are scrappers and I had to find disks to get
the up and running. With my Ultra-10's I got rid of the IDE drives/
CDROM simply because I had a hard time finding drives that would
work. My usual technique of booting of the CD and using format to
label drive worked only about half the time, assuming that I put in
would boot the CD. Out of 5 CD drives from the same manufacturer with
jumper settings set correctly only three would work. Substituting an
LSI controller and SCSI drives would solve the problem of getting the
machine up.