[rescue] rescuing an ailing U10...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 2 07:31:42 CDT 2007

>From: James Hartley <jjhartley at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/10/01 Mon PM 06:08:21 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] rescuing an ailing U10...

>On 9/29/07, Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, James Hartley wrote:
>> > Where can I find information explaining the following format?
>> >
>> > /pci at 1f,0/pci at 1,1/ide at 3/cdrom at 2,0:f
>>
>> Aha.  You want the OpenBoot 3.x manuals.  Go to http://docs.sun.com/ and
>> search for openboot 3.x.
>
>Thanks to all, especially Jonathan & Bill, for answering my earlier
>questions on OpenBoot.
>
>I also have another U10 which no longer had its original hard drive.
>Installing OpenSolaris "Nevada" aborted on what I suspect was no
>matching magic number on the disk.  Once I swapped in an old
>Sun-branded drive, installation is appearing to continue as expected.
>
>Is there a way to initialize non-Sun branded hard drives such that
>drives other than Sun-branded disks can be used on (older) Sparc-based
>machines?  Am I correct assuming the Intel version of OpenSolaris
>doesn't have this requirement?

Did you label the drive before the installation proper began? This is usually accomplished by right-clicking on the GUI desktop and getting a terminal session, then running format and labeling the drive. That has always worked for me with IDE drives on Sun hardware like your U10 (for both new "virgin" drives and older, more experienced pulls from PCs)...

Lionel