[rescue] rescuing an ailing U10...

Andrew Gaylard ag at computer.org
Tue Oct 2 05:06:11 CDT 2007

On 10/2/07, Michael-John Turner <mj at turner.org.za> wrote:

> Was it a SCSI or IDE disk? I'd be surprised if you had problems with an
> IDE disk, but SCSI is another story. I've had various non-Sun-firmware
> SCSI
> disks (in particular, certain IBM firmware Seagates) that wouldn't even be
> identified by the PROM without giving errors. I've heard that if one finds
> the correct Sun firmware (eg in a Solaris patch), the drives can be
> updated
> and will then work. Haven't tried it myself though.

Eh?  That's important to know.  I've  recently bought a SCSI Hitachi disk
for my U-60, and installed onto it with no problems.  But it sounds like it
could have turned out otherwise...

Is there a list of known-bad drives / manufacturers?
Failing that, is there a list of known-good drives / manufacturers?
Or is the only safe course to pay Sun an arm and a leg for disks?
Does anyone know what kind of issues Sun has fixed in the firmware?

(Obviously for home use and experimentation, trying odd drives is fine.
But for boxes in production, I'm not sure I'd take the risk...)

Andrew