[rescue] rescuing an ailing U10...

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Tue Oct 2 04:48:27 CDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 04:08:21PM -0700, James Hartley wrote:
> Is there a way to initialize non-Sun branded hard drives such that
> drives other than Sun-branded disks can be used on (older) Sparc-based
> machines?  Am I correct assuming the Intel version of OpenSolaris
> doesn't have this requirement?

Was it a SCSI or IDE disk? I'd be surprised if you had problems with an
IDE disk, but SCSI is another story. I've had various non-Sun-firmware SCSI
disks (in particular, certain IBM firmware Seagates) that wouldn't even be
identified by the PROM without giving errors. I've heard that if one finds
the correct Sun firmware (eg in a Solaris patch), the drives can be updated
and will then work. Haven't tried it myself though.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/
mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/