[rescue] PCI-X Server Video?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu May 31 12:57:25 CDT 2007

>From: Brian Deloria <bdeloria at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/05/31 Thu PM 12:44:26 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] PCI-X Server Video?

>IIRC it was a big thing to buy cheap dell SC420 servers and install video
>cards in them.  they had crap onboard video.  What I don't remember exactly
>is if there was a clearance issue with the cards (ie break out dremel tool)
>as well as something to do with the bios and which card it booted too.  Dell
>was also pretty recalcitrant when it came to making bios modifications
>because they were selling basically a barebones server without and os and
>people were building it into a high end desktop.
>
>I may be all wet I though.

Different server, differnet set of circumstances...

The SC420 had a PCI-Express (not PCI-X) slot that was, say, 8x not the 16x more typical for video cards. The issue was physically forcing a 16x card in the slot. There was a (reasonable) concern that someone waving a dremel motor tool inside a server *might* fsck the whole thing up and look for warranty service...

The on-board video is fine, it is just "server grade", and they wanted something else - the SC420 festival was a bit silly, really - you got a cheap system without O/S, no sound, low-end video, and limited expandibility for a low price (sorta sounds like eMachines of the era)...

See: http://www.poweredgeforums.com/showthread.php?t=1954

Lionel