[rescue] Personal progressions (was: what to do with a dec alpha 255)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu May 31 11:57:45 CDT 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 09:34:26AM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> My resume claims that I've used 25 programming languages on 9 operating
> systems.  If I were looking for a job, I'd probably update that.

Well if we are going to do that:

First computer programmed. SDS 940 (fortran), 1967-68 school year.
Then IBM 1130 (fortran, assembler), HP 2100 series (basic/assembler),
CDC 6400 (assembler, fortran, COBOL, SNOBOL).

IBM 370 DOS/VS, VM/CMS (assembler, fortran, COBOL). MVS (assembler)
and so on.

Wrote some interesting code (a security system pre-RACF for MVS)
(so much that when I saw open/close buttons on CD players, I read it
as open/close/eov. (that's an inside joke, sorry).

PC fortran and basic.

Brief time with Comodore 64 assembler.

Used and Amiga (1986-1991)  (but never wrote code for it).

Wrote a few dumb programs (hello world level) in PC assemble on a Commodore
286 PC.

Wrote some interesting system level code under CMS (a shared memory
telephone directory and a REXX debugger).

Bought a Macintosh  Wrote programs using C.

Learned C on a PC running Coherent. Learned UNIX with an ESIX system. (1990)

Wrote programs for AIX and SunOS in C.

Wrote C code for PCs using DOS and OS/2.

Designed, wrote all the code for and supervised a scanning/electronic
publishing system for submissions to the FDA. Best year scanned over
a million pages and produced more than submissions.

Wrote C code for an NCR UNIX system.

Owned and wrote code for a 3b2.

Designed and ported Linux to the only working X86 based handheld gaming
device. (twice).

Probably a lot more, but I've forgotten it.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838