[rescue] Personal progressions (was: what to do with a dec alpha 255)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Thu May 31 11:34:26 CDT 2007

Intoned Bill Bradford ...

> I went from DOS/Windows 3.1 to OpenVMS, then to FreeBSD, Linux (this
> was the 0.99.13 days), then to SunOS and Solaris.

Call me obtuse, but I never thought of it that way before, as a journey, but
I probably should have.  Like any journey of discovery, it's hard to tell
where the end will be, or whether the journey itself is the end we seek.

In my case ...

BASIC on a Univac, NEAT on an NCR 315, NEAT3 on an NCR Century series, long
pause, S/360, TRS-DOS, CP/M, then MS-DOS.  At this point the road forked,
and I took both paths at once.  Down one path I kept up with developments in
Microsoft Windows, down the other, various Unices: SunOS, Solaris, IRIX,
*BSD, and Linux.

Right now, my LAN includes machines running IRIX, Solaris, FreeBSD,
Slackware Linux, and WinXP.

My resume claims that I've used 25 programming languages on 9 operating
systems.  If I were looking for a job, I'd probably update that.

-Shel