[rescue] what to do with a dec alpha 255

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed May 30 23:22:52 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 22:30, Ronald Gilchrist wrote:
> On 5/31/07, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> > I agree with this.  Everything IBM that's not AIX or Linux is just
> > SO COMPLETELY ALIEN that it ends up being very enjoyable to learn
> > about something from scratch with no preconceived notions.  It's fun
> > to go into something as a COMPLETE BEGINNER.
>
> I'd _LOVE_ to do this. Anyone got a spare mainframe, and a desire to
> edumacate a newbie? ;)

Getting a "mainframe" is easy.  There's Hercules, or just wait a while
for another S/390 to show up on ebay for a few hundred $$...

"The hard part is filling it with illegal substances and sending it
across the border." ;)

Err, I mean, the hard part is getting software for it that's anywhere
recent enough to be both useful, and compatible with other things, like
Ethernet...  "Open" would be IBM's term for that.  I still haven't
managed to get any OS to run on my S/390s other than Linux (not to say
that Linux on S/390 is a bad thing, it's just not all that "different",
well, at least once you get the system IPL'd).

Pat