[rescue] HPPA hardware question (forwarded from another list)

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Tue May 29 14:26:13 CDT 2007

I'm not saying old machines can't do the job.  I'm saying the amount
it costs to get them into service is many times not worth the cost.
If you have a supply chain of replacement parts, have several of the
same type in service, are extremely familiar with them, the OS,
configuring them, etc, then hey, why not use them?

When tax payers were paying my salary as a computer jock, I was very
mindful of total costs involved in my decisions.  Sure, I could spend
a few hours shopping around to get a better price on something at the
low low cost of my salary + 380% overhead rates which would negate any
savings at all many times over, or I could just pay a bit more, buy
something new from an established vendor, and forget about it.   When
something broke, it was HP's (or dell's, or sgi's, or sun's) problem
-at least for the duration of the warranty.  After this, we quickly
upgraded to current technology with a new warranty.

Above all else, you should do what works best for you.  If you want to
add an old out of warranty system to your network, go for it.  It's
your network.   I didn't get the impression from the original e-mail
that there were a few machines of this type already in place so I
apologize for assuming this.

Bob